GPS unit for beginner ~ GPS, Map and Google Earth
GPS, Map and Google Earth
Google

Monday, November 5, 2007

GPS unit for beginner

So many question come from the gps beginner like this: what kind of gps is suite for the beginner? It is depend what kind of beginner you are:

  1. I just want to know my position in a map, I'm happy if I can get my geographic position. For this type of user I suggest to buy a basic gps, non colour viewer, from any brand. You can chose Garmin, Magellan or Tomtom. It will cost you around US$ 75 to US$ 150. Basic Garmin GPS like 12XL is very tough and durable, I've used it for 12 year. It will give you a latitude and longitude coordinate (or UTM), and altitude. There are lot of datums available in this type of GPS.

  2. I want to see a map in my gps, but not expensive. If you happy with black and white map you can go with Garmin e-trex Vista or e-trex Legend it will cost you around US$ 175 up to US$ 250.

  3. I want to see full color map in my gps. Lot of choice for this type starting from US$ 300 for Garmin Legend Cx up to US$ 700 for garmin 276c. Also there is a durable gps with omni antenna like Garmin 60 Cx for around US$400, this kind of GPS is very sensitive, have 20 tracking capability (sirf III), water proof and can used in the difficult terrain, in some type also equipped with barometric altimeter.

  4. I don't care about coordinates, datum and tracking capability, I just want to know my position on a map in colour display. Go for Garmin Nuvi or Street Pilot series, its very practical as long as you have a map for your area, it will cost you from US$ 350 up to US$ 800.

  5. I've a bluetooth enable PDA, I want to use my pda as gps. Buy a bluetooth (BT) GPS like Garmin 10 or the latest 10X with price around US$ 180. There is also other product like Altina or Holux, its cheaper, around US$ 75 to US$ 100. Pairing this BT GPS with your PDA. You also need to install a gps software in your pda like Garmin Que or Garmin Mobile xt.

After having a various mapping gps unit for more than 17 years, I started using a gps with color map, how much it cost? US$ 75 for second had Ipaq 5500 PDA (large screen) and another US$ 75 for second hand Garmin 10, I'm happy with this combination, more than enough to show my way and tracks.

No comments: